Monday 1 March 2010

Question 1- In what ways does you media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

In what ways does you media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

When beginning my research I needed to watch several music videos with music of the same genre so that I would be able to find the conventions that they have included in theirs that I would be able to include also and show redundancy due to the audiences being able to recognise elements. The two music videos in particular that we looked at were: jack penate- have I been a fool and scouting for girls- heartbeat.

We also watched our bands only music video which our artists produced for one of their other songs. The music video they made for ‘feel alive’ has both narrative and performance. We believed that the parallel action worked well for this music style. After watching similar music genre’s videos we discovered that many music videos for the ‘indie’ genre do contain narrative and performance, including the two specific music videos I watch: ‘jack penate- have I been a fool and scouting for girls- heartbeat’.

Jack Penate



Here is where I have used similar conventions when watching this music video. Within this music video Jack Penate dates several girls in the same places then between shots the girls change. In my music video I have reversed the sexes and I have every band member dating the same girl.




























Scouting for girls

Scouting for girls - HEARTBEAT
Uploaded by FourMusic. - See the latest featured music videos.

Here is the feedback I recieved from classmates about the genre and similar conventions incomparison to real media products:

- Split screen looks quite similar to other music videos so very effective
- Video goes very well with the song
- Redundant video but the different guys were quite original. (Busted- sleeping with the light on)
- Two clearly different editing styles used to distinguish the singing from the narrative and seemed conventional of the genre but in a good way as it would have seemed out of place of it was challenging the genre.
- Fairly entropic
- Clear genre- love song, boys and girl

No comments:

Post a Comment